Qualitative Data Analysis Course Using Nvivo
All 3 days only R10,250.00 (Excl. VAT) per delegate
About This Course
Qualitative research provides richness, contextual understanding and great depth to any research question. Researchers tend to veer away from qualitative research as a method because of its seemingly complicated research approach in data collection, analysis and interpretation. But it doesn’t have to be. Qualitative research is important because it seeks to describe, understand and explain human behaviour. It is especially powerful for understanding complex concepts such as health, power, gender or race in a more nuanced way.
Qualitative research can be used to understand the research setting, improve design and tools, as well for triangulation: better understanding, insight and interpretation of research findings. Including qualitative component in research studies is of significant essence. Qualitative research can be used to answer many research questions or paired with quantitative methods. Therefore researchers, including quantitative researchers, should become skilled at qualitative methods.
The course objectives include helping participants achieve the overall understanding of qualitative research methodology, when to use qualitative research, key data-gathering methods in qualitative research, drafting of data tools, ensuring data quality in qualitative research, data synthesis and analysis using Nvivo software.
- Overview of types of qualitative data analysis
- Coding, manual coding and developing a codebook
- Basic introductions to the main features of NVivo 12
- Introducing NVivo and setting up a project
- Nodes and coding in NVivo
- Creating Nodes in NVivo
- Hands on application of codes to transcripts
- Working with nodes
- Introducing and creating demographic attributes for transcripts in NVivo
- Exploring your data
- Generate preliminary findings using memos
- An open session which allows individual participants to practice using NVivo with support from the facilitator
The course will teach participants the following:
The most significant change methodology and participant observation will also be covered. Data synthesis and qualitative data analysis using software will also be covered. Specifically, participants will learn to use Nvivo for data analysis. The course will also cover data quality and writing up results.